Have you ever experience the feeling of wanting to give up what you are doing, your dreams, your works, or your projects? For the reason that; you feel no progress of what you are doing no matter how hard work you do. If yes, then welcome to the club :). Most of us in some point of our lives get in this stage. It’s a human nature that I believe there is no way to change it. Even best athletes in the world have their days of less or not motivated.
Here are some reasons in my experience why I lose my motivations?
- Tired– At the beginning stage of a new project I am very excited and motivated. I want to complete this project , I can’t wait for next week to see the result. What I did is work almost all the time, seems 24 hours a day is not enough for me. Two hours sleep is very long, I need to wake up and continue my project.
I still remember one time my wife told me that I love more my laptop than her because I spend more time to my laptop than to her, I don’t know if she is joking or not :). After a week of hard work and sleepless nights, I found my self losing my drive to work, not as excited as week before.I was very busy for the entire week no social life. Eating, showering, and sleeping is the only time of my rest. Since my body and mind is very tired already, I am no longer productive which cause me to lose my motivation.
- Bored – I bet you agree with me if I say that in some point of your life, you feel dull. Ah! Here I am again sitting in front of my laptop, checking my email inbox, checking my facebook account, googling, chatting with customers, employees, and colleagues, posting in the forum, replying support, marketing my services, lunch time, then go back to my laptop and continue what I am doing, oh it’s dinner time, I am done, back in front of my laptop, yes! it’s 1:00 AM time to sleep.
I remember this is also my routine last Monday, Same On Tuesday, Same Yesterday, And I guess tomorrow also :). I feel bored I don’t wan to work any more I want changes and I lose my motivation.
- To much expectation – When I got a new idea I really feel excited on this idea and most of the time I am expecting to much from this idea. This is it, I will be a millionaire from this idea in 1 month. But after a month nothing happens with the idea I am expecting to make me millionaire. What happen? I lose my motivation to continue the brilliant idea that in the beginning I believe it will works.
- Distractions – I discuss this topic in my previous blog entry. One of the biggest reason why many of us lose our motivation is distractions. We are not productive the whole day long because of so many distractions that we are entertaining, which is not part of our daily tasks. Some of them are chatting, FB, checking emails from time to time, watching tv, and other distractions. At the end of the day we feel frustrated of the result of our one day work.
- Lose of interest – This is the last reason in my experience why I lose motivation. There are works or ideas that I want to implement right away but because of delays and other reason I lose my interest to that idea or work.
How to get motivated again?
- Get Some Rest – If machines need rest, then human deserve to get more rest. If you’re think that you will be more productive if you work 24 hours a day, then I tell you, you are wrong. We can not work and think well if our body and mind is tired. We are risking our health instead. Our body needs at least 7-8 hours sleep to regenerate our energies. If you get enough sleep and rest, you will never lose your drive to work for your goals.
- Have a break – When you feel bored, stop what you are doing. Go out and have some fun. You can go to the mall and shop, if you don’t have money for shopping then watch movie :).
You can ask your friends, wife, husband , or children to do something different like cooking for a change. Or maybe you need a 1 week vacation to the beach to inhale fresh air. Bottom line is to fine a way that make you relax and help you restore your motivation. As soon as you feel motivated again go back to what you are doing before you have a break.
- Watch or listen inspirational audio and videos – Inspiration videos, quotes, and audios are very powerful to restore our motivations. I’ve proven this many times.
- Do Not Entertain Distractions – Why many of us are not productive? Because we entertain to much distractions in our daily tasks. For examples chatting, opening our emails from time to time, reading twitter and facebook messages, sharing pictures, and many more. The best solution to avoid all these distractions is to write your to do list before you start your day. Since all the distractions are not part of your to do list you will not entertain them , you will then only focusing on what listed in your to do list. You will become more productive and more motivated by following this tip.
That’s all folks.. thanks for dropping by, I love to hear your comments, questions or suggestion in the comment box.